Cebu governor: No endorsement yet for Marcos, any presidential bet

enablePagination: false
maxItemsPerPage: 10
totalITemsFound:
maxPaginationLinks: 10
maxPossiblePages:
startIndex:
endIndex:

(FILE PHOTO)

Cebu (CNN Philippines, November 27)— Cebu Governor Gwen Garcia on Saturday said her family and her party One Cebu have not yet endorsed Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos, Jr. or any presidential bet, saying it is "too early" to make such commitment.

"I know that eventually as a family we will come together and decide. But right now it is just too early," Garcia said in an interview with reporters.

"As you can see in the national scene, things are still so fluid. That is why One Cebu never jumped into the fray while others did, declaring too early their allegiances only to find out that such allegiances became irrelevant. Let us respect the party, and let us respect my family," she added.

Her brother, Cebu 3rd District Rep. Pablo John Garcia, also noted that the party and its allied mayors have yet to give an endorsement to any candidate.

One Cebu is the biggest local political party in Cebu province. Its members include majority of incumbent officials.

The statements come after Liloan town mayor Christina Frasco — president of Cebu's league of municipal mayors — said they will be backing Marcos in next year's elections.

Frasco, who's also the spokesperson of Marcos' running mate Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte, has since clarified her remark.

"My declaration of support for the presidency of Bongbong Marcos, I said in my capacity as president of the League of Municipalities of the Philippines - Cebu, whose membership consists of 44 municipalities," she said in a statement.

Frasco added that she respects the process of One Cebu, and expressed hope that the Marcos-Duterte tandem be "given serious consideration."

Lessons learned

Governor Garcia, for her part, said the group already learned their lessons in past elections — when they made an early endorsement, but not all of their family and party members were consulted.

"So I must learn from that," Garcia said. "[These] past two years, I have lost two brothers. The other year, I lost my mom or two years ago. This year, I lost our dad. We cannot afford to be divided again."

"It (unified decision) has to be or else we will not choose, I cannot afford the divisiveness, the conflict that happened in 2010 within our own family... As of now, I gave them the freedom to explore their inclinations."

Earlier this week, Marcos and Duterte got a boost after the political parties of three former presidents teamed up to express their support for tandem.

Cebu-based correspondent Dale Israel contributed to this report.